Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Basics

I'm not sure how closely I should hold my cards to my chest at this point. The more I say about my training in the blog, the more Tiffany knows, so I'll say this just to start things off: I've made a list of critical areas that I need to focus on for the competition. I spent most of last night reading about stocks and sauces in the Joy of Cooking. Now, of course Tiffany will have access to the stocks I make and vice versa, but I'm learning that it's all about how you layer flavors once you create those stocks. Knowing that Tiffany owns the French Laundry Cookbook, I decided that I needed a little more French education, so I bought Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I wanted to get Keller's book, but I'm going to spend time learning all of the basics from Julia. All in all I'm not worried about the fact that I only have two and a half months to learn what, in my dad's words, take chefs a lifetime to learn. Easy.

2 comments:

Rebeka said...

Ari, I have confidence in you. Clearly the chefs that take an entire lifetime to learn these things just aren't being efficient enough!

Julia said...

From ME??? What are you thinking.... you think you can win top chef with turkey sandwiches and carrots with hummus? Think, again.