Saturday, November 22, 2008

Valiant Attempts

My cooking these days gives me absolutely ZERO confidence in the first weeks of training. Anne bought some sockeye salmon from Trader Joe's this week. We had no idea Sockeye salmon is some strong tasting salmon; I mean it's SALMON. So when we paired it with quinoa and broccoli, it obviously overpowered everything, including our tolerances for salmon flavor. Oh yeah, I thought a pear ginger sauce would be good with the Asian marinaded salmon, and guess what? It wasn't. But, I did use my new ring mold for the quinoa, and that worked out well. No picture though.

Then last night I made a homemade pizza: onions, cherry tomatoes, asiago, mozzarella, lemon juice, garlic olive oil. It was a beautiful thing. I steamed the onions just for a minute or two to soften them but retain their crunch. I layered the onions and tomatoes below the cheese and then put some on top as well...and then...well, and then the pizza stuck to the wooden paddle because I didn't put enough cornmeal under it. So after a meltdown in the kitchen, I had to call Anne into the kitchen to help, and it ended up being a wrinkled mess of a pizza.

I'm going to chalk this week up to fatigue and hope that it can only get better.

No comments: